Today has been a day of reflection for me. I have had to work really hard today to remember why I am here in Peru. So I have pulled out a piece of notebook paper that I scribbled some challenging words on. It is from the book Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. I haven't read the book because I am still working on the next few lines, they are enough for me right now.
Prescription for Contentment
1. Never allow yourself to complain about anything--not even the weather.
2. Never picture yourself in any other circumstance or someplace else.
3. Never compare your lot with another.
4. Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
5. Never dwell on tomorrow--remember that [tomorrow] is God's,
This challenge has been amazingly difficult for me. It is much more fun to think of the things I would change, the things that I miss and dream of how they will be in the years to come. But I think that I agree that allowing my thoughts to wonder only allows them away from what God has asked me to do. So, I have decided to take the challenge from Linda Dillow and work towards contentment in the life that God has given me here and now.